Q: Where should I start? 😀
If you are new to Plum Village practice, or to mindfulness in general, you may wish to begin in the aptly named ‘Start Here’ section, which is found under the central ‘Meditations’ tab.
You can also use the search function (see ‘I can’t find what I’m looking for; how do I search the app?’, below) to locate topics that interest you.
Q: How and why should I use the Mindfulness Bell?
The mindfulness bell is a wonderful way to bring mindfulness into your daily life, giving you a chance to pause and bring your mind back to your body for a breath or three. See the article ‘How (and Why) to Use the Bell of Mindfulness on the Plum Village App’ for more on this topic.
Q: The mindfulness bell is not working properly; what do I do?
The handy article ‘Troubleshooting the Bell of Mindfulness’ will support you in addressing any issues with this feature. If you still have issues subsequently, please contact us; we will be happy to look more deeply into the problem.
Q: What is the difference between the mindfulness bell and the meditation timer?
The mindfulness bell is an invitation to stop and breathe for a few minutes at points throughout the day. The meditation timer can be used to schedule a particular period of sitting meditation or bring your mindful concentration to a specific activity.
Q: How do I use the Meditation Timer?
Want to time a specific period for sitting meditation or other mindful activity? Here’s how to use the Meditation Timer:
- The meditation timer is located under the extras tab (the fourth from the right)
- Once accessed, choose the duration of your meditation session. If you wish, you can also choose the bell sound you prefer, add interval bells, or adjust the volume
- Get yourself comfortable and click ‘Start’ to commence your practice period. There will be a 10-second buffer period before the timer begins with one half chime and three full chimes of your chosen bell. The interval bell sounds a half chime and a full chime of your chosen bell
- Hide or reveal the counter at any time by clicking gently in the centre of the screen.
- You can also pause or stop the timer at any point with the buttons at the bottom of the screen
- The end of the session is marked by a 30-second cool-off period, during which you will hear a half chime followed by two full chimes in quick succession.
Q: How (and why) should I create an account?
When you first download the app, it will prompt you to create an account; this optional function allows you to sign in via multiple devices and access your playlists and favorites from all of your devices.
Additionally, you won’t lose your favorites, playlists, or activity logs when you switch off your phone or uninstall and reinstall the app.
If you initially decide not to create an account, you can do so subsequently by clicking on the ‘Extras’ tab (the fourth tab from the right) and accessing the ‘My Account’ section.
Q: I can’t find what I’m looking for; how do I search the app?
Follow these instructions to use the search function in the app:
1. Within any section, click the magnifying glass 🔍 in the top right hand corner
2. Use toggle to ‘limit search’ to the section you are in, or to search the entire app
3. Type in the search box to find files, folders, or extras
4. Save time by choosing from recent searches
5. Use the filter option to make selections based on Duration and/or Author. You can also search by Duration and/or Author without using the search box, for example, if you want to find all 0-5 minute practices
6. Choose, breathe, and enjoy!
7. If you have finished searching, simply click the 🔍magnifying glass again to close the search options.
Q: How do I save my favorite content?
Enjoyed a talk, practice, or other item, and want to find it again easily? Open the menu (‘…’) next to the item and tap ‘Add to favorites’. It will then be saved in your ‘Favorites’ folder, which is located under the ‘Extras’ tab (the fourth from the right).
Q: How do I create and use playlists?
In the app, you have the ability to create multiple playlists for different purposes – such as for your morning meditation session, taking care of difficult emotions, or to cultivate joy!
To support you, we have written a handy article on how to use playlists on the Plum Village App.
Q: How do I share content with a friend?
- Find the individual content menu by clicking ‘…’ next to the content, or in the top right hand corner of any content page
- Choose the option to ‘Share’
- Your device should then give you options for how to share this specific link.
Top tip: The link will open in any web browser via our web app, so the person you are sharing the content with doesn’t need to have downloaded the app in order to view it!
Q: How do I download media for offline access?
All text items are already available offline – however, follow the instructions below if you want to listen to any of the audio or video media on the app offline:
- Press ‘…’ (located next to any video or audio content, or in the top right hand corner of any content screen)
- Choose the option to download the content
- Once downloaded, the content will show a download icon (a downward arrow) in the top right hand corner
- To remove a downloaded item, simply click ‘…’ again, and press ‘Remove download’.
Please note: Downloading items will take up storage space on your device.
Q: Can I view content via my desktop or laptop computer?
Although the app is not downloadable on a PC, you can access all content from the app via a browser; please see our web app.
Please note: The web version of the app does not (yet!) include our ‘Extras’ – features such as the Mindfulness Bell and Meditation Timer.
Q: I have feedback about improving the app; how can I let you know?
We love hearing from you, so please use our public feedback board, which is regularly monitored by our team.
However, if you notice that something isn’t working correctly, please contact us rather than using the feedback board.
Please note: You will need to create an account separate from your app account to log in to the feedback board.
Q: I love the app and would like to support its continued improvement and development; how can I help?
You can make a one-time donation of any amount, or set up a monthly subscription payment, via our website’s donation page. We are deeply grateful to our app community, who offer their resources to support the app.
You can also offer your time and loving energy by volunteering to subtitle our videos, which supports the accessibility of the app.
If you would like to offer your time and energy in any other way, please contact us.
Q: I’m experiencing difficulties in my life/with my mindfulness practice; what do you advise?
Our app is a wonderful resource for nourishing mindfulness practice – however, its teachings and meditations are not alternatives to mental health advice or therapy. Unfortunately, we are also not able to answer your personal questions.
For mindfulness practice support, we recommend looking for a local sangha (a community practicing in the Plum Village tradition), or joining a retreat. For other mental or physical health support, reach out to, for example, a local helpline, a professional, or friends. Remember there is always help out there when you look for it, sometimes it just takes time to find!
Q: I have another problem or question; help!
Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be happy to support you!